1-Improve relationship with my family
2-Improve my Englsih (Speaking and Listening)
3-Find out my major, and get a job that relates to my major
1: One of the problem within my family is lack of communication. In fact, I rarely talk to my parents. My mother often talks to me, but not communicates with me. Mostly she just starts out talking to me and tells me what is good what is bad, what to do and what not to do, taking me as a child. My silence seems to be OK with her. I try to express my mind and she doesn't seem to care. She just goes on talking, and sometimes feels hurt if I say something back to her, so I stop.
But I will continue working on it, even so I feel it will take years and may not succeed.
2: I have been learning English for about 7 years. My problems are lack of speaking, and listening with attention. I do not have a close friend who speaks English very well. But that could be an excuse. I must put myself in a situation that I have to speak in English in order to communicate and perform daily tasks. I seldom watch TV and movies, not to mention whether they are in English. I need to speak and listen, with attention.
3:My major is Finance and Investment. I am taking Principles of Finance this semester. I don't feel I like it or dislike it. All I know is I'm taking it, and I have been spending least time on this course. I'm planning to go to a Major Fair later in this semester. My job after my graduate? Not that I am optimistic, but I don't worry as much now.
Friday, March 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
15 comments:
In terms of a major, I think it is best to experiment. Have you tried to taking classes in different subject areas not pertaining to your major? You may find that you are interested in a field that you never even thought about. If you do decide to stick with finance, I suggest finding an internship or a mentor. After hands-on experience, you may develop a passion for finance.
i am sure your relationship with your parents will improve as you get older and i think they will choose to trust you when you have your own job and your future family. Your english skills can be improve if you pay more attention to it. My english is bad also, but i am still learning it. My major is Finance also.Hope we both like it in the future.
I agree that I should start to find a job that relates to my major sooner. Actually I'm planning to do it when this semester is over. Because I'm loaded with 6 courses and it's now toward the end of the semester. If you know where to search for a job, (besides STARR and Monster website)please let me know, I appreciate it.
Family relationship has been a headache to me. I found out I rarely spend my spare time with my parents. The day before yesterday I sat down on sofa with my father, and we watches TV together. (In the past 3 years the total time I spend on TV has been less than 15 hours, quite a surprise!) I think I should start watching more TV with my parents, and have something to discuss, and hope the situation will gradually change.
I think your vision is one that is really focused which is great, it deals with the now, which creates realism among your aspirations. Communication with parents is tough I think we all go through it no matter what culture or background we have grown up with. Having grown up in a different world so to say, you have to have some understanding for their unexplained paranoia and sense for what they think is best. Look at the bigger picture and realize that your grandparents raised your parents, maybe one day we will be the people our kid’s blog about. Practice your English it will set you apart from the graduates that were afraid to perform the task, I’m terrible at learning new languages, but I think the key is to submerse your self in it and its sink or swim from there.
Good Luck
With my parents i was in almost the same situation. I think it was maybe worse. I lived with my faterh and step mother. i couldn't stand them. As soon as i moved out things got so much better. Our relationships have improved tremendeously. Now i miss them; well that doesn't mean im going to move back in but...
Thing is it goes both ways. You also need to make some efforts on your part to communicate with them. Also try to listen to what they are trying to tell you because i know often we don't like to listen to what they say. we are but dont listen
Try gettting an internship of part-time job doing something with Finance. In most cases, jobs takes from the principles of what you learn, and can hopefully expand on them. Try to get a taste for different financial based products and see which one excites you. You need to figure out a passion you have and work doing finance in that industry. When work and school gel together, very often the insight you gain will push you in the right direction.
It was nice to know all the goals that you want to accomplish in your future life. The best part is that your are trying to fulfill them. First, about your relationship with your parents, is an important part of one's life. This is a relationship even when you don't want to hold onto will always be there for you. Even though you have lack of communications with them, they always be there for you. You think they don't understand, actually they understand you the most, maybe you have troubles expressing that among yourselves. Hopefully, with your intentions strictly focusing upon it, you relationship with your parents will improve.
Secondly, about English, the best strategy is going out there and talk as much English even not accurately. Speak among your classmates, participate alot more in your classes, and joins some clubs, so you have more people to talk to.
About your decision about your major, first, try to take variety of courses and see what interest you the most. There are different kinds of surveys that evaluate your way of thinking. And finally, you should sit down with a counselor, who can help you decide what major will be best for you. Most importantly, take a step back and visualize what you want to see yourself doing in ten to twenty years from now.
Hopefully, with your intentions, you will have a better future.
The parent thing is quite typical of Chinese immigrant family. Not that saying every family is like that, but I know what you are talking about. Blame it on Confucianism.
Indeed.com, try use it for searching for job. The pro is that website is like a search engine. The con is, since it is like a search engine, the result is quite random, thus getting a job from actual networking provides more stability than using that website.
The www.efinancialcareers.com seems to be more suitable for people with prior job experience or for MBA or other graduate students.
I agree, the CDC website is kind of useless.
The most important element in identifying one's own future path is being honest with yourself. In other words, looking at your life through a critical point of view is sometimes not so easy and definitely not simple. However you seem to do it very well and this will only help you improve by any means through your life course. One thing that really caught my mind in your article is the subject matter of our relationship with our family members. I once read an article in psychology that said that the most fundamental relationships that we will ever experience in our lives is our relationship with our family members such as our parents and siblings. It also said that it will be very difficult for one to establish strong and meaningful relationship with other individuals unless he maintains a healthy relationship with his closest family. That is absolutely something for all of us to keep in mind : )
I wish you the best of luck in everything you want to pursue.
Best Regards,
Tal Koppel
Your visions are very realistic and can be accomplished with discipline.
My relationship with my father was the same way. He only used to tell me what to do and we never really talked. I kept trying to talk to him but he wouldn't give in. Finally one day it took a huge accomplishment of mine for him to start talking to me. Maybe now he feels proud of me? Maybe he trusts me? I don't know. All I know is that a lost relationship with your parents is the worse thing that can happen. After all, who can replace your mom?
The best way to learn a language is to be active and engage in it. You should speak as much English as possible, even if it is bad. At least you will get comfortable with speaking the words and familiarizing yourself with different words. Listening just takes concentration and focus. When listening to somebody try to understand what they mean and then repeat it.
I recommend you to get an internship with a finance company. Many times people find out they don't want to do that job. I found out my true calling through internships myself. Internships are very beneficial and you will not regret them!
Getting a job that relates to your major is surely a vision. Many people I know and statistics say that many people never even get a job in their major. Nonetheless, that would be ideal, but you never know what life will throw at you in the future, and you may want a career not in Finance. What you can count on is that your degree will definitely look great on your resume....whatever the job may be.
hi, my major is Finance and Investments too and I have the same thoughts as you and I also don't spend a lot of time on it but I think I have to learn to like it.
Post a Comment