Thursday, March 13, 2008

Handling Conflict?

First of all, i got a B- without been curved. Keep this in mind, because I think the grade each one of got greatly influence, if not directly reflect, the attitude toward what we have to say. (As we all have seen in class, outgoing ones usually cry out what's best for them, while "quiet" ones experience ups and downs in their little hearts : )

Going through the definitions of the five processes, frankly, each of them didn't fit very well to me. because t didn't matter to me if the final decision were curving or dropping, as long as we came to a consensus in the end. For I well know that if we couldn't get unanimous consensus, we would just blew the opportunity. So I was willing to go alone with the majority disregarding whether it would be the best for me. (Surprisingly, we made it with both curving and dropping)(how many of you were like me?)

If I were the leader in a situation like this, I would do pretty much do the same like what it had been going, the reason can be simply that, we made it. It could serve a good example/model for me to follow.(Isn't it that in our life we look forward to people who succeed and try to learn their ways and hope to become successful? So we made it, why not in this case?)
The only thing I would do differently, since I am now looking back for what had happened, I would, in the beginning, to educate and let every voter be well-informed, about the nature of our situation, that is, we MUST get 100% votes if we were to have anything done. I would ask the voters, for any of you who would like to disengage because you are not interested, you may delegate your vote to anyone who is interested. If anyone would not vote because the nature of the vote is against your ethics, ask the professor if he can count you out, so that whatever the result would be, it wouldn't hurt your ethics, because you did not participate in the process.

2 comments:

Ying Dong said...

yea, i suprised that the professor could agree on both curving and dropping, that's kind of amazing, however, we should not count on him next time, but ourseleves...anyway,keep up....

Tom said...

You are absolutely right when you say that our grades affected the way we handled the situation. I was satisfied with my grade as well. Just as you did, I also chose the avoidance technique.

I also agree with your point that we should model our lives based on those who have succeeded before us. It is important to realize that if one person can do something so can you. It also serves as an example so we don't make the mistakes that our model made. We should always strive to be better than the model we are following.

I don't think your leadership tactic would work in this case. Because very person's opinion counted, it wouldn't be possible to delegate your vote to someone else. In other situation's your tactic may work however.